7 Benefits of Deep Breathing
Correct and proper breathing techniques will improve your overall health and bring more quality to the things you enjoy to do. You can take a moment at anytime and anywhere, to decrease stress and increase quality of life.
To make sure your taking in deep breaths make sure you are:
- Breathing in through your nose for at least a 5 count
- Holding in that breath for a 2 count
- Then releasing that air out through your mouth for at least a 7 count.
1. Deep Breathing makes you calmer. Breathing deeply and feeling calm is your natural state. Deep breathing naturally relaxes the mind and body.
2. Deep Breathing helps to detoxify the body. Our bodies are designed to release 70 percent of its toxins through breathing. Carbon dioxide is a natural toxic waste that comes from the body’s metabolic processes and it must be expelled from the body regularly and consistently. Shallow breathing, the other detoxification systems in the body take over and must work harder to expel this waste. This overload can make the body weaker and lead to illness.
3. Deep Breathing relieves pain. Studies have proved it yet when we feel pain our instant unconscious reaction is to hold our breath. Deep breathing releases endorphins which are the body’s natural feel good pain killers.
4. Deep Breathing makes you happier. Breathing deeply will increase the neurochemical production in the brain and release more of the ones that elevate moods and control pain.
5. Deep Breathing helps to improve your posture. Bad posture is often directly linked with incorrect breathing. Try it yourself. Filling your lungs encourages you to straighten your spine and stand or sit taller.
6. Deep Breathing gives you energy and helps you to sleep better. Drawing air deeper down into the lungs greatly increases blood flow as this is where the greatest amount of blood flow occurs, according to the American Medical Student Association. This increases energy and improves stamina. The higher oxygen content of the blood, which cleanses the body and all its cells of debris and toxins, along with better circulation, better sleep, stress reduction, your body working more efficiently, and all that goes along with these naturally gives you lots more energy.
7. Deep Breathing improves your digestion. More oxygen is supplied to the digestive organs and thereby helping them to work more efficiently. Deeper breathing also results in an increased blood flow, which in the digestive tract encourages intestinal action and will further improve your overall digestion.